For the Crust:
• 2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 lbs), peeled and grated on a large-holed box grater or in food processor
• 1 teaspoons salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• pinch crushed red pepper flakes
• 1-2 eggs
For the Filling:
• 1 leek, white and green parts washed and thinly sliced (I like using Trader Joe’s already trimmed)
• 3 Medium Portobello mushrooms, cut into bite sized pieces (optional)
• 2-4 tablespoons butter
• 7 eggs
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
• 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbed
• Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
• Grease the bottom and side of a 9-inch springform pan with butter. Cut parchment paper in a circle the diameter of the bottom and place in the bottom of the pan, You can also just use a standard 9-inch pie pan and serve it right out of the pan (so you can skip the parchment step). The springform pan just makes a more dramatic presentation.
• Mix salt in with the grated sweet potatoes. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then either pat the mixture with paper towels to absorb excess liquid or place in a large piece of cheesecloth or a clean kitchen towel. Gather corners together and squeeze out any moisture.
• In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 or 2 eggs (1 egg will make the bottom crisper, 2 eggs will make the bottom puffier. Both ways are good. It’s a preference), 1 teaspoon black pepper & a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes. Add the squeezed sweet potatoes and thoroughly combine. Press the sweet potato mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
• Turn oven down to 350 degrees F.
• Meanwhile, heat the butter over medium high heat. Add the leeks, along with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until softened, about 6-8 minutes. If using the portobello mushrooms, use 4 Tbsp butter instead of 2 Tbsp and cook along side of the leeks. Let this cool slightly before adding to the egg mixture.
• For the egg mixture, whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper, and coconut milk until totally smooth. Add the cooled leeks and mushrooms and 1/2 the goat cheese. Stir to combine. Pour the filling into the prepared crust. Sprinkle the rest of the goat cheese on top.
• Bake 30 minutes, until the center is mostly set. Allow to rest 20 minutes before serving. Serve at room temperature. Enjoy!
To make this meal complete, add a fresh salad of field greens with chopped basil added for flavor and antibacterial properties and avocado. Dressed this simply with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, salt and pepper.