Makes 12 Mini Pies
These cute refreshing tarts are perfect for a summer picnic or just to have at home. These are Paleo/keto adapted so won’t wreak havoc on your blood sugar but your taste buds will never know it!
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 coconut oil or Kerrygold butter
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp succanat sugar or Allulose blend sweetener from TJ’s*
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp key lime zest (zest your limes before juicing)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice (6 medium limes)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or TJ’s Allulose blend
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour or 2 Tbsp almond flour
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray muffin tin with avocado or coconut oil or 9×9 square baking pan for bars (The tartlets are fancier but the bars are less work and taste the same).
- Combine all of the crust ingredients with a spoon or rubber spatula until everything sticks together.
- Using your hands, evenly divide the dough between the 12 muffin cups and press on the bottom and up the sides until it creates a bowl. (in the summer, I needed to chill the dough for about 5-10 minutes in order to do this. The dough kept coming a part because the coconut oil or butter was totally melted)
- Bake the crust for 7 minutes until slightly golden brown. Remove form oven and let cool for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, whisk all ingredients for the filling together. Once the crust has cooled, pour the filling evenly into the muffin cups.
- Bake the mini pies for about 15-17 minutes. The bars for 25-30 minutes. filling should spring back when touched-not jiggly.
- Allow to cool at room temp for 30 min then refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Using a dinner knife, carefully loosen & remove the tarts or slice the bars.