Gluten and Grain Free Lemon Pound Cake
CAN A LEMON POUND CAKE THIS GOOD BE HEALTHY?
While this cake does not get a perfect ‘10’ (but almost!) on the healthy rating scale, it’s still an awesome find! It’s absolutely delicious and doesn’t leave you with the normal sugar and grain high, followed by the usual sugar hangover and here’s why.
- First, it’s fairly low in sugar (it’s totally sugar free if you use the Swerve instead of the Succanat sugar).
- Low in carbs and is gluten and grain free for the folks who can’t tolerate gluten and/or eating in a Paleo fashion, trying to keep the carbs to a minimum
- It’s dairy-free for those who have a sensitivity. (btw-eggs are NOT dairy)
- The almond flour makes and five eggs gives it a fairly high level of protein making it perfect for breakfast or an afternoon tea. Remember, protein keeps you fuller longer, making you feel satisfied after one slice. All grain-based flours including gluten will spike blood sugar and insulin-which is never a good thing.
- Finally, it’s high in fiber from the coconut flour. Fiber is part of gut health and stabilizes blood sugar levels as well.
It’s fast and easy to throw together and has become a staple in our house and I hope will in yours too!
So, bottom line is, you can have your cake and eat it too!! ENJOY!
Total Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 5 Eggs – at room temperature
- 3/4 cup erythritol (Swerve) or Succanat *
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
Lemon Glaze Icing (is optional):
- ¼ cup confectioner’s sugar or Swerve (erythritol)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 Tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to (350F). Line a loaf pan 9 inches x 5 inches with a piece of parchment paper. Slightly oil the paper to make sure the pound cake doesn’t stick to the pan. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, succanat, sugar or erythritol , melted butter and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, stir together the almond flour, coconut flour and baking powder. Stir to evenly combine the flours.
- Pour the liquid ingredients onto the dry ingredients.
- Stir all the ingredients together with a baking spoon until it forms a consistent cake batter with no lumps. Combine for at least 2 minutes to make sure the coconut flour fiber absorb the moisture.
- Pour the cake batter into the loaf pan.
- Place the loaf pan in the center of your oven and bake at (350F), fan-forced mode if you can for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes decrease temperature to (320F) and cover the loaf pan with a loose piece foil. This will avoid the top to burn and the middle to bake slowly.
- Keep baking another 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the pound cake comes out with little to no crumbs on it.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the lemon glaze icing and hand mix the ingredients together until well blended.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the loaf pan. Poke the top with a fork about 5 times and pour the icing on top.(you want the cake to be a bit warm so icing soaks in).
- Let the cake sit for about another 10 minutes and remove the pound cake from the pan using the parchment paper.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to continue to cool.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries and mint sprigs and serve.
*Swerve is a brand name for erythritol and Succanat is the brand that I love to use in place of processed white sugar. It’s sugar that’s been minimally processed and still has a bit of a molasses flavor. These can both be purchased at Thrive Market and conveniently delivered to your door step. Feel free to use all Swerve or all Succanat or a combination of the two or even coconut sugar. Use Swerve as you would the succanat.
The icing makes this cake a bit more festive and birthday like but the cake without the icing still knocks it outta the park-fewer steps and less sugar 🙂
P.S. I may take away your gluten and dairy but don’t ever say that I don’t deliver the goods on eating fabulously delicious food!