Many people ask me if I think supplements are necessary and the answer is yes. There are some basics that I think everyone needs even if you’re diligent and very careful about what you eat. We live in a sea of toxins, our soil has been depleted of vital minerals and nutrients, many of us are stressed and sleep deprived and many of us have digestive issues that impair the absorption of the nutrients that we eat . All of this adds up to needing some additional help. Even though I do think supplements are a good addition, please let me be clear that they are not to take the place of eating whole, organic, grass-fed, fermented, real and living foods!
The basics I recommend are: Omega 3’s, B-complex, and Minerals. I think Probiotics are also a very good addition to keep our gut happy.
Below is a quick checklist that will help you to choose quality supplements. I hope this is helpful!!
Nutritional Supplement Checklist ( you will find this on the back label of the supplement)
- Natural Vitamin E in an esterified form (d-alpha tocopherol, natural vitamin E succinate, non-GMO)
- Vitamin B6 in the form of pyridoxal-5-phosphate or P5P
- Vitamin B12 in the form of methylcobalamine
- Folate or 5 methyl-tetrahydrofolic acid (NOT Folic Acid which is difficult for many to utilize)
- Inclusion of organic whole super foods like organic nettle leaves, chlorella, barley grass juice, camu camu berries, etc
- Amino Acid chelated minerals-preferably, from a reputable manufacturer like Albion.
- Avoid all products that include corn, wheat, soy, hydrogenated oil, aspartamine, maltodextrin, sucralose, and artificial colors like Blue#1, Blue #2, Green #3, Red #40, Red #3, yellow #6, etc. (check out Centrum and One a Day!!)
- Choose products in capsule form over tablet
- Ensure that manufacturer is certified for Good Manufacturing Practices, (GMP)
The more of the above factors that are included in a supplement the higher the quality and usually more costly but also well worth it and much more effective. (exception would be what to avoid)
Brands I recommend:
Ortho Molecular **
Meal replacement Shake –Living Fuel, Jay Robb, Shakeology, Xymogen
**I carry both the Xymogen and Orthomolecular lines of supplements. If you’d like to place an order for either one of these brands, please e-mail me firstname.lastname@example.org.
I’m able to set up a direct account with Xymogen for you, to receive 10% off, with no shipping costs or sales tax which makes it convenient and more cost effective for you.