I am so happy to get back into my kitchen! I’ve had my head down getting the TRC Cleanse launched and now I get to have a little creative down time.
I’m starting back slow n easy with this quick simple little dessert that’s naturally sweet.
This started off as a berry crisp but you can use whatever berries, apples, peaches you have around-whatever is in season-fresh or frozen. The naturally sweetened fruit is topped with a crispy grain-free topping which makes it the perfect plant-based, gluten-free dessert!
PREP TIME 10 minutes, COOK TIME 45 minutes, TOTAL TIME 55 minutes
- 7-8 cups mixed organic berries (you can use frozen or fresh berries here. If using frozen they must be completely thawed and most of the juice drained) *
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot starch (or cornstarch or gluten-free flour)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup almond flour (or almond meal)
- ⅔ cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans (or other nut of choice)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ cup coconut sugar or succanat
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil or butter
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup (optional and depends on your audience)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease a 9×13-inch or similar size dish. Put fruit directly into the dish and top with the arrowroot and lemon juice and toss to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the almond flour, coconut, pecans, sugar, and salt. Stir to combine. Then add coconut oil or butter and mix again (with a spoon or your hands) until evenly distributed. Taste a little and see if it’s sweet enough for you. Add either more coconut sugar or a little maple syrup.
- Spread the crisp topping evenly over the fruit. Bake uncovered on the center oven rack for 40-45 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling and the top is golden brown.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving. Serve as is, or with Coconut Whipped Cream or cashew cream! Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
*you can substitute a 3 cups of peeled and thinly sliced apples for the equivalent amount of berries. I like the tartness the apples give.
Adapted from the minimalistbaker.