- 1 small head of cauliflower (about 1 1/2 pounds), chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon Real salt, plus more
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more
- Chopped chives (for serving; optional)
- Pour water into a medium pot to a depth of 1/4″. Add cauliflower and garlic and cover pot. Bring to a boil and cook until florets are easily pierced with a knife, about 8 minutes.
- Drain well (I like to drain it into a colander and ) either transfer to a food processor or back to the pot and use a masher. Add butter, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Purée or mash until smooth. The processor will give you a smoother consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with chives, if using.