Cauliflower Pesto Grilled Cheese
Lately, I’ve been focusing on creating grain-free recipes which has been fun and has had some surprises. I’ve been learning how to blend non-grain flours together to get the consistency I need and how to incorporate things like cauliflower and yucca root.
It’s also help me to have a better understanding of the challenges people might run into when cutting back on or eliminating grains all together. Just by default, playing and experimenting with grain-free recipes has gotten me to cut back on my own consumption which has been very cool and a benefit as well. I’m satiated for longer periods of time and feel like my blood sugar is more even.
I have to admit that I approached this cauliflower grilled cheese recipe with a bit of trepidation and not much excitement. I hadn’t been overly enamored with cauliflower pizza crusts or cauliflower crackers or breads so wasn’t expecting to have a hit on my hands and I really wanted a crispy crunchy grilled cheese,
The first go around was so so, a little bland, and fell apart while cooking. So, I added additional herbs and spices (this is a must with cauliflower as it has a pretty bland and neutral taste) to create a robust flavor. Then I added a little psyllium husk to hold the mixture together better and voila! We have a winner!
The recipe below is the end result and I’m actually craving it as I’m writing this post.
I can’t wait to gather up the ingredients for my time in the test kitchen this week. I’ll be trying out broccoli cheese balls (great for breakfast and kids finger food) but first, I’ll be making my crunchy, cheesy grilled cheese.
Serves 2 -3
1 big head cauliflower, (to make about 4 cups cauliflower rice) *
3 organic eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. Real Salt
½ cup finely grated Parmesan Cheese
2 Tbsp psyllium husk
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder (more if you’re a garlic lover)
2 Tbsp Kerrygold butter or olive oil
1 ½ cups shredded raw milk or manchego cheese.
2 Tbsp Pesto
4 tomato slices (optional)
Freshly chopped basil
- Cut cauliflower into florets. Process cauliflower florets in a food processor until the texture resembles rice. You can also grate the cauliflower.
- In a medium bowl, combine processed cauliflower, eggs, Parmesan, psyllium husk, oregano, and garlic powder. Let this mixture sit for about 5-10 minutes to firm up a bit.
- Heat butter or oil in a large skillet (I prefer my cast iron frying pan) over medium heat. Then scoop the cauliflower mixture into a small to medium patty and place one side of the pan. Repeat this process on the other side of the pan.
- With a spatula, press the mixture down and shape into a square. These are your “bread” slices. Cook until golden underneath, about 5 minutes. Carefully flip and cook until the other sides are golden, about 3 minutes more.
- Top one cauliflower “bread” slice with 1 Tbsp pesto, tomato, 1/3 of cheese, and sprinkle with chopped basil. Then place the other cauliflower slice on top. Cook until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes more per side.
- Repeat this again one to two more times with the remaining ingredients.
* You can always purchase cauliflower rice instead of making it yourself.
Nutritional benefits: Cauliflower is in the cruciferous family which means that it contains sulfur. Sulfur has huge detoxification abilities, so this grilled cheese is helping your liver pull toxins out.
The fresh basil and the pesto have natural antibacterial properties, helping your digestive system ward off bugs that naturally enter when we eat.