Eggplant Fries…was not my idea. It was actually my honey’s, in his determination not go back to his old eating patterns. He completed a 30 day ketogenic diet a couple of months ago and liked the way he was feeling and looking but wanted to have something tasty and crunchy like french fries.
Hence we’ve been combing cookbooks and blogs for new ideas to transform unhealthy favorite foods into healthy yummy new dishes. It just takes a little bit of willingness to explore and experiment. I’ve actually had a lot of fun trying new flours, root vegetables to replace potatoes, and things like these fries. And if you don’t cook, re-formulated dishes can often be found in eateries across California. Explore!!!
I tried two recipes and this one, by far, was the winner, both in taste and texture and was supper easy to make. The fun part is that not only are these fries packed with flavor and crunch, they can actually be a meal. Can you believe that? French fries being given the thumbs up as the main dish!
The almond flour and egg supply plenty of protein and fiber. The thyme and rosemary both have incredible healing properties. Thyme is anti-microbial and supplies antioxidants while the rosemary improves digestion, stimulates the immune system and is anti-inflammatory. And yes…this is Paleo legal 🙂
Recipe: Serves 3-6
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/4 “sticks
- 2 cups almond meal (raw almonds in the food processor will make an almond meal)
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stir together the almond meal, rosemary, thyme, paprika, and salt in a shallow dish.
- In a separate dish, whisk the egg and olive oil together.
- Dip an eggplant slice into the egg mixture and then dredge in the almond flour mixture. Place on the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining eggplant.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the fries are crispy and golden brown. Serve immediately
Dipping Sauce (optional):
½ cup organic mayonnaise
1/4 tsp chili powder*
1/4 tsp smoked paprika*
¼ tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp ketchup
*can substitute these 2 spices with chipotle chili powder
P.S. It’s great to have the air temp finally cool down enough to want to turn the oven on again. Go turn yours on and try out these tasty morsels!
Here’s a video for you to see how easy this is to make! Enjoy 🙂