Makes a 9 Inch Pie
For The Crust:
- 1 cup rolled oats ground into a flour in food processor or 1 cup oat flour
- 3 Tbsp ground flax
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups raw pecans
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup (acts as the binder, honey will work too)
- 2 tbsp Organic Butter or coconut oil, melted
For The Filling:
- 2 & 1/4 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1/3 cup full-fat coconut cream
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp arrowroot powder or 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Grease a 9-inch pie dish very well and preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Stir together dry ingredients
- In a food processor, add 2 cups pecans and process until the mixture starts to clump and oils start to release (about 35 secs), but don’t make pecan butter.
- Melt coconut oil or butter with brown rice syrup in small saucepan. Transfer pecan mixture into a large bowl and mix with the rest of the ingredients. Using your hands, squeeze the dough over and over to combine very well. You should be able to form a ball with it. If it’s too dry, add a bit more oil.
- Spoon the pecan dough onto pie dish and press out evenly. Press down firmly with fingers to form a crust, bringing it up along the sides. Prick base with fork 12-13 times. Prebake- at 350F for 9-12 minutes. Remove and cool for 10 mins.
- In large bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, molasses, and arrowroot powder or egg yolks. Then add remaining ingredients and whisk together, adjusting spices to taste, Add more sweetener if desired.
- Scoop the filling into crust and smooth. Cover the edges of the crust with tin foil or a crust shield and bake for 50-55 minutes at 350F. Place on cooling rack for 1 hour. Transfer to fridge to set for a minimum of 3 hours or overnight.
Coconut Whipped Cream: Refrigerate 2 cans of coconut cream for at least 4 hours. Open can upside down and drain the coconut water for later use in a shake or just drink. Whip 2 cups of the remaining coconut cream in a well chilled bowl with well chilled beaters until stiff. Add 2 Tbsp sucanat or raw cane sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract, if desired.